1. Sleeping babies snuggled up together like puppies.
*I don't know why I think of puppies when I think of sleeping kids but I always see Jamie and Olivia as kind of a litter of puppies. They are always bumbling over each other, nipping at each other and then collapsing into a heap of warm little snuggly fur balls. Minus the fur.
So, the other night I put them to bed and got in the bath. I usually spend the first 30 minutes after they go to bed yelling at them to be quiet and get in their own beds. This time I poured myself a huge glass of wine (actually a plastic cup), got in the bath tub and ignored them.
When I got out I went to check on them and they were both crammed into Jamie's bed with their arms and legs all tangled together and their little mouths hanging open...snoozing away. I wanted to take a picture but I thought it might wake them up. So I just stood there for a long time so I would remember this moment forever. I will conjure it up sometime when they are 15 and 16 and totally hate me and each other.
2. Jamie's weird secret language.
*She says something to you and if you say, "What?" She repeats it back as a bunch of random jibberish. She and my dad have entire conversations of nonsense.
3. Jamie's obsession with finding beautiful things everywhere she goes.
*She always has some little treasure in her pocket. A rock, a flower, a bug, some bit of stuff off the ground that she thinks is pretty.
4. Olivia's new found love of all things scary.
* I hate scary. I hate to be scared. Where she got this...I have no idea. I have encouraged her though. I'd hate for her to go through life afraid of monsters, like I still am.
5. Olivia's nightly trip to my bed.
*Sometimes it's exhausting to wake up to a bony little butt pressed against you and a sweaty little hand tangled in your hair. But I know that some day she won't want to get in bed with me and it will be a really sad day.