Friday, September 12, 2008

The Weekend

After a really busy week I usually look forward to the weekend. It's the time that I can regroup, clean the house a bit, catch up on the laundry. All the domestic stuff that gets pushed to the back burner on the weekdays. That's Friday.

By Saturday afternoon I am ready for it to be Monday again. I have a very low tolerance for staying home all the time and I am generally itching to get out of the house by noon on Saturday.

Therein lies the problem. If it were up to Jimmy he would never leave the house. He can tinker endlessly around the yard or in the garage. He requires no conversation. Sometimes he doesn't even put music on!

So that leaves me on my own in the entertainment department most weekends. I usually find ways to entertain myself, but those weekends that I can't find anything to do....ouch. By Monday morning (which happens to be a day that I don't work) I am mean, cranky, bitchy, just ugly. In all honesty...I will start a fight by Sunday morning.

So here I am on a Friday morning. I should be eagerly anticipating the weekend but as I stare at the calendar on the wall...no birthdays, no camping, no built-in entertainment or ways for me to make Jimmy get out of the house. I wince just thinking about how I will feel in less than 48 hours.

So what will I do? I will look for things to do. I will make a mental list of all the options so when I say, "Lets go do something!" and he says, "Well, what do you want to do?" I will have at least 3 options and I will hope that he will like just one idea. If he doesn't? I will find something that I can do or that the kids and I can do together. If I don't? That's when it gets ugly.

Cross your fingers for me, would ya?

1 comment:

Robyn said...

What do you mean "no birthdays"? I invited you to Liam's first b'day party this Saturday. It's a big milestone in his life. You said you were going hiking.