Thursday, December 14, 2006

A good day indeed

There was a time when I never wanted to be a teacher again. I never wanted to step foot into a classroom and I would never, never, never have worked with someone! BLECK!! Needless to say, I was wounded. There were all sorts of factors at play...I was pregnant then a new mom, I was exhausted, I was in a monumental power struggle and I was not supported or even heard when it was glaringly obvious something was WRONG!!! Hmmm...I wonder why no one makes it to year two with this teacher??? Anyway, I said all that to say this. I am tentatively testing the water again and the water is NICE!! I am teaching one day a week in my daughters class so her teacher (who happens to be a really good friend) can work a four day week. We work long days (730-530) and with children so she deserves a break and this way I get to trade and I don't pay real money, just labor, for my daughter to go to preschool. It's all good. I have to say I was a bit nervous in starting this little adventure but I made a commitment to do it for one year and then decide. Well, I think it's going pretty well. First and foremost, my daughter LOVES school. I mean seriously LOVES it. She loves her teacher and her teacher loves her!! That is the best part. And working with someone else is going very well too. We are friends so that makes it easier but there was a time in our lives when we did work together and it didn't go so well. It was even worse than the really bad year. Not because she was so terrible like that other terrible person but because we had parents getting us involved in their personal dramas, toad-y kids and both of us were trying to work out a comfortable "synch" and we couldn't. It made it worse than the really bad year because she was my friend and we were hurting each other. All that is a long time gone and we are working together just dandy!! So, to her, thank you. Maybe teaching isn't the only thing I want to do but it's certainly something I like to do and thanks for reminding me!
Love this quote...
"A real friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you've forgotten the words"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, I have been on hiatus! Well said and I think it is so good for you to be there again, back in your element! I love your friend quote...I think it is rinign true elsewhere as well. :)